What does Colne Town Council do?

There are 3 tiers of Local Government – County Council, Borough Council and Town Council. Councils are made up of individual Councillors, who are elected to serve the needs of their locality. Town Councils represent the first tier of Local Government – the tier closest to local residents. 


Local Authorities – Who Does What? 


Lancashire County Council 

Colne Town Council comes under Lancashire Country Council who are responsible for:


  • Children, education and families 
  • Health and social care
  • Transport and travel 
  • Roads, pot holes, repairs and gritting
  • Recycling Centres
  • Fire and public safety 
  • Flooding 
  • Libraries and archives 
  • Trading standards
  • Births, marriages and deaths 


Pendle Borough Council


Pendle Borough Council come under Lancashire Country Council. Pendle Borough Council are responsible for: 

  • Waste Collection 
  • Council Tax and Benefits
  • Planning and Building Control 
  • Licensing and Law 
  • Business Support and Advice 
  • Environmental Health (including animal welfare)
  • Elections 
  • Bereavement Services
  • Taxis
  • Bins
  • Housing


Colne Town Council


Colne Town Council comes under Pendle Borough Council. Colne Town Council are responsible for: 

  • Allotments 
  • Alkincoats Park 
  • Play areas (King George V Playground, West Street Playground, Waterside Playground, Alkincoates Playground, Daisy Street Playground & Hawley Street Playground)
  • Benches
  • Bus Shelters
  • Town Centre CCTV 
  • Primet Community Centre
  • Events 
  • Christmas Lights in Colne 
  • Colne Neighbourhood Plan 
  • Colne’s Footpath Network 
  • Community Toilet Scheme
  • The Great British Rhythm & Blues Festival
  • Colne Town Hall
  • Alkincoates Outdoor Gym

For information on Lancashire County Council services:
Phone: 0300 123 6701
Email: [email protected]

For more information on Pendle Borough Council services:

Phone: 01282 661661
Email: [email protected]

For more information on Colne Town Council Services:

Phone: 01282 861888
Email: [email protected]

Other Services within Colne

There are other organisations that deal with some of the other services you may need around Colne. 


Pendle Leisure Trust 

Pendle Leisure Trust is the leading provider of leisure facilities in Pendle including Pendle Leisure Centre based at the bottom end of Colne and The Muni. 

For more information on Pendle Leisure Trust Services:


Phone: 01282 661228 (Head Office)
Phone: 01282 661166 (Pendle Leisure Centre)
Phone: 01282 661234 (The Muni)


Skip to content